Health is Wealth. I hear this saying all the time, but it really is true. Take a moment to think, "what if I had a chronic illness?" This past month has really tested me-my former husband passed away from a chronic illness and my best friends are fighting cancer. I know several people who fight everyday for their health and I am ever so thankful for my own good health. Taking care of your body and mind when you are suffering from a chronic illness is difficult because often (especially, if we are caregivers) we are think about our family first. Here are some tips to put "you" in the forefront.
1. Set boundaries and monitor them. That's right, everyone has limitations. Be kind to yourself. Set a modest goal of what you would like to accomplish in a day and set out to achieve it. Whether its a short walk, preparing a healthy meal, or simply playing with your children. If you think you can't complete your goal, don't be too hard on yourself. Try again the next day.
2. Keep a journal. It's important to write your feelings and keep a log of your experience. Its a great tool for self- reflection and a good way to connect with yourself.
3. Seek out a support group. It's easy to fall into a rut when you think you are the only person experiencing a particular illness or set back. Listening to other people's experiences can help you feel connected. Remember, you are not the only one suffering and some people are much worse off.
4. Stay positive. Continue to do the things that you enjoy whether that's playing the piano, cooking, walking the dog, etc.-anything that stimulates your mind and helps maintain some degree of normalcy.
5. Lastly, eat healthy foods and if you are able, keep your body moving. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, fatty fish and keep red meat to a minimum. Studies show that walking at least 20 minutes, 3 times per week has a positive effect on your overall health-not to mention Vitamin D. Think healthy, be healthy!
Healthy on You will provide you techniques to manage your stress on a daily basis and give you the tools to refresh your body and mind. Health Coaching, Cooking Classes and more! Contact me below for your free consultation, Gift Certificates also available.
Healthy On You Recipes and cooking tips by Samantha Binkley. Many of these recipes use Samantha's 100% Organic Spice Blends that take the guess work out of cooking.