Honoring black history month with food is a breeze with this great combination of Caribbean and Southern flavors. This yummy catfish fillet is marinated in a spicy wet marinade and baked. Its incredibly flavorful and reflective of Jamaican cooking as a whole. The spices used in Jamaican jerk were meant to preserve meats when there was no means of refrigeration back in the days of slavery. Runaway slaves called Maroons would hide away in the thick of the forest and hunt wild board and forage for food. The wild allspice (pimento), garlic, thyme, scallions and dangerously hot scotch bonnet pepper were ground together and used as a rub to preserve the meat to keep it from spoiling. Today we apply jerk spice to a variety of food including fish. This recipe is a great sheet pan recipe if you are planning to cook for a family. You can lessen the spice by using only a tsp of my Jamaican Jerk Spice. Enjoy!
Serve with a quinoa salad, roasted squash or sweet potatoes
I’m really looking forward to being a guest chef later this month (Feb. 24-28) at La Cocina Que Canta (“The Kitchen That Sings”) at Rancho La Puerta Resort in Tecate, Mexico. For months I’ve been working on my recipes and finessing them based on what is in season on their beautiful 7 acre organic farm. My hands on cooking class will be 3.5 hours and consist of seven healthy and delicious recipes. If you've never been to The Ranch, this would be a special way to experience it!
As I write this, I am bleary eyed. I definitely didn't get enough sleep last night and here I am writing about getting enough sleep! With that said, today’s demands on working families in this day and age of technology, only 60% of us are getting more than 8 hours of sleep. The other 40% who get less than seven hours of sleep tend to gain more weight over time, find it difficult to shed the weight and are, in general, heavier.
In my house, lights out at 10pm doesn’t always work (my husband is a night owl!) but getting myself into bed by 10 and winding down seems to be a more attainable goal-most nights (last night wasn't one of them!)
Overall, sleep is one of the most potent habits you can have to improve your health and lose unhealthy fat, faster. For those of you who need a little more inspiration for getting 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep, see below for some real encouragement!
in a medium sauce pan over low heat, combine the honey, orange juice and cranberries. Stir the mixture until the berries begin to pop and thicken. Add in the Asian 6 Spice and salt and continue stirring. When the cranberries have fully thickened, add in the ruby port and stir the mixture for 2 minutes then add in the remaining berries and marmalade. Gently stir to combine the fresh fruit-don't over cook-you want most of the berries to remain intact. Remove from heat and set aside (this part can be done ahead and refrigerated.)
To assemble, spread the goat cheese generously on the toasted baguette slices and top with the berry compote. Garnish with mint and serve immediately.
Add the tuna cubes to a large bowl and coat with the toasted sesame oil, then sprinkle generously with the Asian 6 Spice Blend. Let sit for 10 minutes allowing the flavors to penetrate. Heat a seasoned cast iron pan and working in batches add 6-7 cubes of tuna at a time and rotate every 15-20 seconds leaving 2 sides uncooked. They sear quickly so do not walk away. Work the batches this way until complete. Lay out the cucumber rounds and place one tuna cube on top, then pierce with the bamboo skewer. Sprinkle with the chopped green onions, sea salt flakes and pepper. Serve warm or room temperature.
Healthy On You® Asian 6 Spice
This unique blend of Asian spices encompasses all the taste sensations: sweet, sour, bitter, salty and umami with the addition of savory shiitake mushrooms. A simple yet sophisticated way of spicing up your healthy creations. It's complex flavors are a perfect addition to grilled fish and stir fry dishes as well as a flavorful seasoning on duck and chicken.
Healthy On You Recipes and cooking tips by Samantha Binkley. Many of these recipes use Samantha's 100% Organic Spice Blends that take the guess work out of cooking.